mardi 20 octobre 2009

Recipe : Asparagus power!

With a little positive energy from Caro (all she had to say was, "You must BELIEVE!" and there I was, believing! It's ok, you don't have to understand. You simply have to believe ;-)), here I am, back to blogging :)

I'm going to take it slowly, a little randomly. Which is the way I usually like to do things anyhow. Since there's been much talk about food, let's keep the topic flowing!

Here's a little recipe for a dish I fell in love with the first time I tried it. Actually, it was love at first sight since the words alone made me salivate* : Asparagus with garlic and toasted almonds.

* that's a lie. I do not salivate at the thought of food if it contains veggies (I ain't a hater. Simply not a fan). But I said so because I wanted to make a big statement. But also because the dish deserves it! Oh and because I love garlic. And toasted almonds.



The recipe is from MediterrAsian.com, which means it's healthy, delicious and easy to make! Oh, and pretty too! You can serve it as a side dish or even as a cold salad.

Asparagus with garlic and toasted almonds


Ingredients
  • ¼ cup raw flaked almonds
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • ½ red onion, finely diced
  • 1 clove garlic—minced (crushed)
  • 12 asparagus spears—woody ends removed
  • 2 tablespoons dry white wine
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Method
  1. TOAST the almonds lightly in a frying pan until golden.
  2. REMOVE and set aside.
  3. HEAT 1½ tablespoons of olive oil in the frying pan over a medium heat and cook the onion for 3 minutes.
  4. ADD the garlic, asparagus, salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes, stirring regularly.
  5. ADD the wine, cover the pan, and cook for 4 minutes.
  6. MIX through the toasted almonds and serve on a plate drizzled with the remaining half tablespoon of olive oil.
I didn't have any dry white wine, so I used water (it was just 2 tbsp anyway).

You don't have to be a fan of asparagus to enjoy this recipe! With the garlic and almonds, you might just become one ;-)



2 commentaires:

Caro a dit...

wow ça l'air cool! Je vais l'essayer!!!!

Anonyme a dit...

Yeah, looks yummy! Pretty soon Lychee you will SO be loading up on veggies and fruit!! ;-)